The Intertext series has been specifically designed to meet the needs of contemporary English Language Studies. Working with Texts: A Core Introduction to Language Analysis (2nd edn 2000) is the foundation text, which is complemented by a range of 'satellite' titles. These provide students with hands-on practical experience of textual analysis through special topics and can be used individually or in conjunction with Working with Texts.
Aimed at A-Level beginning undergraduate students, The Language of Television:
* provides an extensive history of British television
* explores a range of genres, from breakfast news to soap operas and 'reality TV'
* analyses television scheduling and listings
* includes extracts from scripts of popular television programmes: Queer as Folk and The Royle Family
* includes a substantial glossary.
Jill Marshall is Lecturer at Queen Margaret University College, Edinburgh. Angela Werndly is Lecturer at the University of Sunderland.